Saturday, April 24, 2010

CRA-W Grad Cohort

This weekend, I took a break from the last-week-of-school panic to attend a conference in Seattle for women in computer science. It's actually not so much a conference as let's all get together, eat free food, and talk about how to get through graduate school. And for the most part, I learned quite a bit and enjoyed myself quite thoroughly and actually made some new friends.

There were certain parts that concerned me. The two sessions that one wouldn't have seen at a similar event for any gendered cs grad student were...pretty gender biased. In a bad way. The suggested reactions to possible situations made me uncomfortable. They were all very passive reactions, which only leads to the persistence of the attitude that it's okay to say that someone only got their position because of their gender, or to interrupt a female speaker just because they're female. I do not believe in simply sitting back if I'm having a conversation with someone and someone else butts in and tries to end my conversation preemptively. I am far more likely to inject myself into the "new" conversation, politely. Restraint is something I should learn.

But there were constant references to "having a cry" when a rejection letter was received. There were the 'jokes' about shopping. If we're talking about activities that are relaxing, why are they all so stereotypically gendered activities? It...perturbed me. For all of the information I received, the attitudes I encountered at CRA-W were not really...about being equal. They were about establishing our femininity within being a computer scientist and somehow trying to be normal.

I have no desire to be normal. Not a normal woman, whatever that means, not a normal computer scientist, not a normal anything. Will I return to CRA-W next year if they fund me? Yes, I likely will. The opportunity to network with women in computing research is much too large to ignore. Will I perhaps be skipping the sessions on "Building Self Confidence" and "Being a Woman in Computing Technology" ...no, because I think it's critical that someone stands up and says that we should not let even "unintentional" sexism stand.

On a somewhat related note, if ever you have to be stranded in an airport for two hours, SeaTac is a great one for it. Comfortable seats, true free wi-fi, and outlets galore.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. SeaTac is pretty cool. Waiting for the bus outside sucks though.

    d:- D

    ReplyDelete