Saturday, May 14, 2011

CHI 2011: Super Short Wrap Up

I'll hopefully continue to document my CHI remarks as time permits, but we'll start with a short wrap up.

I attended a lot of sessions just because they sounded interesting. The first one was about programs that use humor to interact with humans, and the difficulty of applying humor through text alone. Also on Monday, I attended a session on HCI for Peace that I should get around to deconstructing sooner rather than later. Tuesday, I hung out in alt.chi for a lot of the day and listened to an epic discussion about social computing systems research. Tuesday was one of the hardest days for me as far as choosing which panels to attend, because there was so much that sounded fantastic.

Wednesday and Thursday were the days that I filled with gaming panels, technical presentations, and even a SIG session. These were the most beneficial in terms of framing of my own work, though some of the conversations had were peculiar, from my point of interest.

Now, the next step is somehow determining how to maintain the connections I made at the event. I met many, many, many students, practitioners, postdocs, professors...and now I've got to get beyond, "Hi, I was the girl you met at chi with the blue hair!" level of knowledge. It was a wonderful conference, and I hope to continue attending for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment